Search This Blog

Saturday, April 7, 2012

Guest blogger: Erix Infante - Arctic Monkeys & The Black Keys Review


 Recently I saw The Black Keys in concert accompanied by the Arctic Monkeys. Both
bands are a personal favorite of mine, but I was unaware as to what kind of show both
bands would put on. Since their debut album Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm
Not the Arctic Monkeys have held priority on my itunes library. Prior to a couple of years
ago I couldn’t have told you much about The Black Keys and what they brought to the
table. Luckily with their incredibly popular Brothers album, I was able to dive head first
into their soulfully dirty Midwest rock! Entering the arena I was positively clueless as to
what I would be expecting. But as soon as the Arctic Monkeys took the stage it was
evident that I about to hear some real rock and roll! Alex Turner and his band mates
brought everything but the kitchen sink to the stage, and worked the crowd perfectly.
Fans were screaming for an encore before they even left the stage. The British rock
instantly took a hold of everyone, which created a rather rowdy concert experience, and it
was amazing! For anyone who is on the fence with this band I highly recommend
purchasing a ticket because the amount of pure excitement is worth every penny.
 

When The Black Keys took the stage here in Columbus, the Ohio natives made any last
fans jump to their feet. Since the band is only made up of Dan Auerbach (guitar and
vocals), and Patrick Carney (drums and vocals) I was interested to see if they could
produce the same great sound they do on their albums, but live. The only way I can
describe the way they played that night is to imagine yourself drinking a 5th of whiskey,
don’t shower for a couple of days, and then pick up a guitar and play until your fingers
bleed. The crowd was ecstatic from the first chord to the last. While most songs were
from their newest album El Camino, they were able to mix in a great handful of their
older bluesy songs. Both bands had me fully involved from their first song to their last.
Their stage performance was bar none, and made everyone feel as if they were playing
just from them. I highly recommend everyone go see either of these bands in concert,
because they both remind you of what real rock and roll should be and sound like! So go
to your nearest liquor store, grab a bottle of Jack, and play that music loud!



The Black Keys Tour Dates
28th July. Catalpa Festival - NY
24th August. Leeds Festival - Leeds, UK
26th August. Reading Festival - Reading, UK

For more information regarding tour dates and tickets check out: http://www.theblackkeys.com/shows

No comments: