Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Ben Howard Review


Only securing the tickets a week ago for the gig, I was pumped to be given the chance to see Ben Howard perform again.

Having already seen Ben Howard perform live (in NYC), my expectations of this gig were high - and boy did he deliver!

The set list for the evenings gig was: Everything, Black Flies, Old Pine, I Forgot Where We Were (new single), Only Love, The Wolves, The Burren, Burgh Island, Keep You Head Up, and The Fear. For encore Ben played: Keiko (new single), Oats in the Water, and Promise.

A totally chilled out guy who lets his music do the talking, this gig is solely about the music.

Playing a mix of singles, from crowd favorites (Keep Your Head Up/ Wolves), to my favourites (Black Flies / Burgh Island), to brand spanking new material (I Forgot Where We Were), the crowd were treated to a really great night of live music.

For me the highlight of the evening was his performance of new single "Keiko." This song reminds me a great deal of "Depth over Distance," in terms of harmonies and playing style on his guitar. Just him on stage, accompanied by his guitar, this song was raw and highly emotive.

It is safe to say from hearing the new material, the new album (due out sometime in the winter) is going to be just as good as the hugely popular debut album "Every Kingdom." Another single which is new and definitely worth check out is White Lights.

Something that stands out to me when watching Ben perform live, which I feel plays a huge part to his success, is his genuine appreciation and humble attitude to all the support he gets from his shows. There is no doubt this guy is popular - the packed out crowd at the Hammersmith Apollo cheered from start to finish.

To read my previous review of Ben Howard live in NYC check out: Review NYC

To read my original post about Ben Howard check out: Ben Howard


I am due to see Ben Howard perform in Dublin next month, and just between me and you - I cannot wait!!

Tour Dates
13th June. Isle of Wight Festival - Isle of Wight Festival, UK
26th June. Glastonbury Music Festival - UK
6th July. Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park - London, UK
14th July. Phoenix Park - Dublin, Ireland
29th July. Central Park - NYC
17th August. Boardmasters Festival 2013 - Cornwall, UK
15th August. Green Man Festival  - Powys, UK
17th August. Custom House Square - Belfast, UK

For more information regarding tickets and tour dates check out: http://www.songkick.com/artists/1212276-ben-howard/calendar?page=1

No comments: